DOL Suspension Hearings

If you were arrested for a DUI, then you are likely facing two cases: One in the courts, and the other with the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL). The DOL may move to suspend your license if you submitted to a breath test above a .08 or if you refused the breath test. DUI’s and DOL hearings are one of the more complex areas of law because even if you are successful in beating one entity, the other still has the power to suspend your license. We understand how important your license is to you – daily living becomes difficult, if not impossible. We dedicate the time to make sure you maintain the ability to drive.

You have a right to contest your DUI license suspension by requesting a hearing with the DOL. DOL Suspension Hearings are important, and you must act quickly, because if you do not file a Hearing Request within 7 days of your arrest, your license will be automatically suspended. It is important to connect with an attorney immediately. The law is ever-changing, and a good DUI lawyer knows how best to represent you in front of the DOL.


How Long Could My License Be Suspended For?

Under Washington law, a person whose BAC (blood alcohol concentration) is above a .08, or their marijuana THC levels were above 5 ng/mL, their license could be suspended for at least 90 days. If a person refuses a breath test, the DOL would suspend him/her at least one year. In many situations, the suspension could be longer.

What Can I Do About This?

You must file a DUI Hearing Request within 7 days of your arrest, or your license will be suspended.

If I Win my DOL Hearing, Then What Happens?

If you win your DOL hearing, your license will still be suspended by the judge if convicted of a DUI. Your attorney may be able to successfully negotiate for a resolution that does not involve a license suspension. Therefore, it is important to examine the case from every angle to defend both aspects of your case.

If I Am Suspended, Can I Still Drive?

Most likely yes, but only under certain conditions. You would likely need to install an ignition interlock in any vehicle that you drive, obtain SR-22 insurance, and obtain a restricted ignition interlock license. The time periods of these restrictions varies from case to case. The DOL may have additional requirements to drive.


When hiring an attorney, have experience on your side. Call today (360) 726-3571.